Washington Square Arch

Here's a watercolor painting I did last Saturday of the famous Washington Square Arch in New York City. It took about an hour and it's about 5x8 inches.


Here's the setup. The blue wedge was something I made for the OPEN webcast later that day. I worked at sight-size and did some careful measuring at the beginning.

When measuring I find it helps to squint through one eye and to hold the pencil on the same plane as the drawing, so that the measurements in the scene can directly translate to the drawing.

I realize this isn't a very complete explanation of measuring for those who aren't familiar with the practice, but if you like, perhaps I can have a go at that topic in a future post.
-----
Attention Lionfish Shampoo fans: The Flickr gallery of all entries is now live at the end of the following post.
Previously: Go Vertical
You have just read the article entitled Washington Square Arch. Please read the article from Sentimental Journey About more. And you can also bookmark this page with the URL : http://sentimental--journey.blogspot.com/2013/08/washington-square-arch.html

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Copyright © 2013. Sentimental Journey